Music Banter - View Single Post - Political Discussions for "Adults"
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2020, 08:16 PM   #7686 (permalink)
SGR
No Ice In My Bourbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb View Post
Also, Trump's foreign policy in the middle east has been terrible. Ending the Iran deal and killing Soleimani were the worst US foreign policy moves since 2003. And pulling out of northern Syria the way he did was a huge gift to ISIS and pretty much a stamp of approval on ethnic cleansing of a group who had for decades before been considered a US ally in the region.
I don't agree with extra-judicial killings of people, even sketchy generals like Soleimani. But we've yet to see the long-term results of this decision (or even pulling out of the Iran Deal). We've seen plenty of the consequences of the Iraq War, but the US killed Soleimani and what happened? Iran huffed and puffed, rattled their sabers, fired off a couple missiles and that's it. BFD. Will it engender more hatred towards us from a broader segment of the Middle East? Maybe. Is it possible that defanging Iran and its leaders could endear us to some segments of the Middle East? Perhaps. But we don't know the long term results yet. Comparing it to the US foreign policy regarding the Iraq War, which resulted in hundreds of thousands of deaths, seems like a false equivalency to me. What about the assassination of Gadaffi? Were the consequences of that insignificant?

How would you propose that we pull out of Northern Syria? Should we stay there until everyone is hunky dory with each other and singing Kumbaya in the name of Yahweh and Allah?

Last edited by SGR; 08-15-2020 at 08:21 PM.
SGR is offline   Reply With Quote