Music Banter - View Single Post - Should Felons be allowed to own guns?
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2020, 04:25 PM   #19 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb View Post
Damn was hoping for some pushback. Fail thread. Unless maybe elph??
Well, I'd def push back on the idea that felons should be allowed access to guns, even if it means going against two of my fave mods:-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
They should be granted the same rights as any other citizen in all senses, even if that includes the right to impractical modes of self defense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Monday View Post
No opposition from me either. I'm against gun ownership, but giving felons less civil rights than other people is unethical and just causes more problems in society
My Case: it's not to be vindictive about people who have paid their debt to society, it's about the notion that a person has shown themselves capable of a felony.
Definition, my bold:

Quote:
noun
a crime, typically one involving violence, regarded as more serious than a misdemeanor, and usually punishable by imprisonment for more than one year or by death.
Plenty of people are released from prison with almost full rights, but plus some restrictions. I suspect that some aren't allowed passports; someone who constructed a bomb is prob barred from working in the chemicals industry. Pedafiles aren't allowed near schools and have to register address changes, some people have long-term restraining orders, etc, etc.

I'm in favour of giving felons a fair second chance, but losing the right to bear arms is not much of an impedement to leading a normal life imo.