Music Banter - View Single Post - Virtual Concerts
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2020, 12:10 PM   #58 (permalink)
Frownland
SOPHIE FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
Is it my consciousness’ interaction with the sound?

What is the important part of the interaction?
When people positively respond to music, they move around in ways that the artist often picks up on (consciously or no) and expounds upon what they're responding to. I think it connects with how you say that artists don't understand their music as well as some think. An audience goes crazy over something the artist didn't realize was so wild and a great performer will lean into that. It gives the audience a degree of participation in the music, even if neither them nor the artist realizes it.

This is all based on my own performances and how my favourite shows seemed to play out. It's a give and take and depends on the artist but that's what I get out of it. An artist confidently playing to an unreceptive crowd has its own kind of beauty too.

Being in the same atmosphere as the artist really also helps. You can hear the smoke in the room on Kind of Blue, but imagine how much harder it would hit if you could see, smell, taste it too.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote