Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2020, 10:39 AM   #51 (permalink)
one-balled nipple jockey
 
OccultHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Dirty Souf Biatch
Posts: 18,914
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
I'm surprised that you don't see how much an artist feeding off of the crowd can change a performance, especially with jazz and improvisation. It's for better or worse, but when it's noticeable it's usually for the better.
I get it. Part of it is probably if I’m going to be curmudgeonly it might as well be against something I don’t have.

On positive tip I love the virtual format. It’s very suitable for where I’m at in life at this point and I’ve felt powerfully engaged with many of the performances I’ve seen. I’m quite happy with the medium and as we have been told that’s the massage.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb View Post
Everyone on here is a loser
FLARLY WE RIDE
OccultHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 10:41 AM   #52 (permalink)
stay the |fvck| inside
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East of the Southern North American West
Posts: 33,750
Default

Ja man whatever works you over.
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 10:55 AM   #53 (permalink)
one-balled nipple jockey
 
OccultHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Dirty Souf Biatch
Posts: 18,914
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Ja man whatever works you over.
I’ve been way more in touch with free jazz artists through this medium. In the past week two artists that are on my 2019 Top 100 performed on ESS and when they go back and watch it they’re definitely going to see my texts. Plus, they can look right on the computer in real time if they’re inclined. I hope it’s something that continues. It’s good for people with disabilities, are low income, or live in cultural deserts.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb View Post
Everyone on here is a loser
FLARLY WE RIDE
OccultHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 10:59 AM   #54 (permalink)
old senile battleaxe
 
Marie Monday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Cute Post Malone's mom
Posts: 1,307
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
I’ve been able to directly ask questions over text that were actually answered.

Idk about the real dynamic compared to physical presence but at this point in my life it’s better. Dealing with the crowd, often being physically uncomfortable, frequently unhappy with the clubs, musicians who set up in front of the stage instead of on it (the stupidest **** ever that makes actually seeing the band a ****ing might makes right scenario) - drunk *******s, people who don’t stfu, even at the goddamn symphony!, bull**** ticket prices, drink tickets I don’t want, trendy dickhead fans who don’t know ****ing **** about music

About the interaction with the audience- the **** I care if their egos are massaged. I don’t care if the musician is missing out on seeing the fans. 9/10 if you try to talk to the artists after the show you just feel like a nuisance.
wtf as if the important part of the interaction is the applause, or trying to speak to them afterwards
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
I’ve been way more in touch with free jazz artists through this medium. In the past week two artists that are on my 2019 Top 100 performed on ESS and when they go back and watch it they’re definitely going to see my texts. Plus, they can look right on the computer in real time if they’re inclined. I hope it’s something that continues. It’s good for people with disabilities, are low income, or live in cultural deserts.
this is a very good point
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
You sound like Buffy after they dragged her back from Heaven.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WWWP View Post
I want to open a school for MB's lost boys and teach them basic coping skills and build up their self esteem and strengthen their emotional intelligence and teach them about vegetables and institutionalized racism and sexism and then they'll all build a bronze statue of me in my honor and my bronzed titties will forever be groped by the grubby paws of you ****ing whiny pathetic white boys.
Marie Monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 11:04 AM   #55 (permalink)
one-balled nipple jockey
 
OccultHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Dirty Souf Biatch
Posts: 18,914
Default

Quote:
wtf as if the important part of the interaction is the applause, or trying to speak to them afterwards
Is it my consciousness’ interaction with the sound?

What is the important part of the interaction?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb View Post
Everyone on here is a loser
FLARLY WE RIDE
OccultHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 11:11 AM   #56 (permalink)
old senile battleaxe
 
Marie Monday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Cute Post Malone's mom
Posts: 1,307
Default

Just the presence. The musicians can sense the vibe of the audience and feed off it, as Frown said, and likewise the audience can better absorb the music and the energy on stage. And there is often some fun verbal exchanges in between the music too
(Also I'm a fangirl who likes to see her heroes in real life)
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
You sound like Buffy after they dragged her back from Heaven.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WWWP View Post
I want to open a school for MB's lost boys and teach them basic coping skills and build up their self esteem and strengthen their emotional intelligence and teach them about vegetables and institutionalized racism and sexism and then they'll all build a bronze statue of me in my honor and my bronzed titties will forever be groped by the grubby paws of you ****ing whiny pathetic white boys.
Marie Monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 11:46 AM   #57 (permalink)
one-balled nipple jockey
 
OccultHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Dirty Souf Biatch
Posts: 18,914
Default

Yeah. I mean I went to a lot of shows. Obviously for a reason.

I have a weird detachment too though. I don’t think I’ve ever given a **** how the musician felt. I cared about my experience not theirs.

That might be exaggerated a bit but mostly true.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb View Post
Everyone on here is a loser
FLARLY WE RIDE
OccultHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 12:10 PM   #58 (permalink)
stay the |fvck| inside
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East of the Southern North American West
Posts: 33,750
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
Is it my consciousness’ interaction with the sound?

What is the important part of the interaction?
When people positively respond to music, they move around in ways that the artist often picks up on (consciously or no) and expounds upon what they're responding to. I think it connects with how you say that artists don't understand their music as well as some think. An audience goes crazy over something the artist didn't realize was so wild and a great performer will lean into that. It gives the audience a degree of participation in the music, even if neither them nor the artist realizes it.

This is all based on my own performances and how my favourite shows seemed to play out. It's a give and take and depends on the artist but that's what I get out of it. An artist confidently playing to an unreceptive crowd has its own kind of beauty too.

Being in the same atmosphere as the artist really also helps. You can hear the smoke in the room on Kind of Blue, but imagine how much harder it would hit if you could see, smell, taste it too.
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2020 Advameg, Inc.