Music Banter - View Single Post - 2020 US Election Thread
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2020, 03:22 PM   #141 (permalink)
Frownland
SOPHIE FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundgardenRocks View Post
As much as I appreciate this exercise in socratic dialogue, the questions I asked were simply there to illustrate that the question, as you proposed it, was too broad to be practically useful here.
That's the nature of broad questions. Usefulness implies an end, what are you trying to accomplish?

Quote:
I haven't brushed up on my knowledge of logical fallacies lately, but I thought I had a decent understanding of what a false dilemma was, I just wasn't sure exactly how you were applying it to my question - and perhaps I'm still not. If I'm to ask,

"What is the cause of the racial disparity between the Republican party and the Democratic party?",

I'm not presenting any kind of dilemma, false or not - it's not a "this or that" kind of thing, nor am I trying to obscure anything.
It was sloppily applied as I mentioned, but the obscuring element of just asking questions bro is still present. Example: my role in this convo.

Quote:
I'm simply asking for causality of an effect that we see in reality. Right?
Nah.

Quote:
Perhaps you conduct your discusssions with your interlocutors differently, but I somewhat prefer to start at ground zero - and carry on discussions from there (generally - when I'm not feeling cynical or sarcastic, that is).
I've already pointed out that you're starting far from ground zero though...

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote