Music Banter - View Single Post - The Islam Thread
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2020, 09:28 AM   #692 (permalink)
jwb
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
ugh

foreign policy, history, economic circumstances etc. CREATE more fundamentalists

yes a very traditionalist practice of Islam is dangerous (as it would be with any religion)

but we know that a more secular Islam is not only possible, but prevalent in some parts of the world, and in some parts of history
Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
1) people practice Islam in a multitude of contradictory ways (a clear truth)

2) your politics and environmental circumstance will determine the type of Islam you practice (again so obviously true)

Therefore: the issue is political
... I think we're basically in agreement on the fact that foreign intervention creates more extremism. This is not an argument in favor of foreign intervention at all. I agree that is a failed policy.

But it seems like there's tendancy to over simplify that the intervention is the only reason there are extremists, whether you like it it not they're are cultural incongruities between the west and Islam that might make someone averse to modernity in their own way.

Like I mentioned we watched this thing happen domestically as well as abroad where religious groups rejected modernity and as a result became more extreme
jwb is offline   Reply With Quote