Music Banter - View Single Post - The Islam Thread
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2020, 09:09 PM   #701 (permalink)
jwb
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
You mean accepting it as the status quo and pretending that it's no longer an issue? It looks like elph is ahead of you on that one.
no

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
wait so you think it's the decline of religion that allows for something like The Enlightenment and not the other way around?

seems to me that, generally speaking, as a society is allowed to develop, it naturally becomes less religious

for example, I don't think the US south is more traditional because they're religious, I think they're more religious because they're traditional...the reason for this being that the populations are more isolated and so haven't developed socially yet
if the religious tradition specifically disincentivises contradicting their holy doctrine, then yes, it specifically impedes progress. I dunno by what mechanism you think religious theocracies turn into liberal democracies but the idea that they turn liberal and then lose religion afterwards seems pretty far fetched to me.

Just like the nebulous sort of culture/religion distinction you try to erect it seems that the religion/tradition dichotomy is not at at all clear, and that societies simultaneously become less religious and less traditional as religion, culture and tradition are all intimately intertwined.
jwb is offline   Reply With Quote