Music Banter - View Single Post - The queer corner
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2020, 12:06 PM   #785 (permalink)
Marie Monday
the bantering battleaxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWWP View Post
I know what you mean, it's like tuning in to a shared experience or insecurity or something. Seeing someone struggle with their identity doesn't always automatically mean TRANS or NB but there are definitely gut feelings like "I see you trying on these different costumes and masks, good for you, can't wait until you figure out which one is you" kind of thing.

With Elliot Page, he'd already been an outspoken queer figure, so I can understand why it doesn't take any stretch of the imagination for one to accept that he is genderqueer as well. It's just weird to say "it's not surprising" because who exactly IS surprised? Who has a stake in his identity to the point where this is surprising news? Is it surprising when someone comes out as gay? I don't think so, it just *is.* Like by saying you're not surprised are you trying to show that you're that much more accepting of it? Or that you somehow predicted it? Or that your thumb weighs so heavily on the pulse of queer culture that you have some kind of extra sense that makes you privy to this information? Just a weird thing to say imo.
Whether it's weird depends on the reason. In my case it simply means that I'm surprised they had these issues similar to mine, because I didn't pick up on it. I don't think that's weird at all.
Well, with a celebrity it is a bit weird, of course. But still it can matter all the world whether a celebrity comes out as gay, it's not always something that just *is*. People need representation and role models; I cannot begin to explain what seeing Jodie Foster as a closeted teen meant to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
You sound like Buffy after they dragged her back from Heaven.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WWWP View Post
I want to open a school for MB's lost boys and teach them basic coping skills and build up their self esteem and strengthen their emotional intelligence and teach them about vegetables and institutionalized racism and sexism and then they'll all build a bronze statue of me in my honor and my bronzed titties will forever be groped by the grubby paws of you ****ing whiny pathetic white boys.
Marie Monday is offline   Reply With Quote