Music Banter - View Single Post - Suggestions for a 14yr old rock fan pleeeease
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2021, 12:31 PM   #116 (permalink)
Eleanor Rigby 14
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Monday View Post
I think Hawk makes some really good points about the Velvet Underground and I also think what you're saying here makes a lot of sense.
Even if you don't really get it yet, it's nice to have heard some of those classics like VU already because it makes you familiar with the bigger picture of music. Don't worry about when you'll get into it (don't try to make homework of it lol) but exactly like you sais, just come back to it when you feel like it after having heard lots of things in the meantime, and odds are you'll love it!

I'm glad the link works! She's Not There is an amazing song. Odessey and Oracle sounds a little bit different: it's more psychedelic. It's not very experimental though, at least not like the Velvet Underground, and it has the most gorgeous melodies.

If you want something that you're likely to love because it's familiar to what you already like, I'd say the Byrds. But I also think going kind of with the order of recs and doing the Monks next could be nice. It depends on whether you want something familiar or new next, you might want to alternate between those two.
Just to know, is Odessey and Oracle's style similar to another album(s) from musicians that have been mentioned in this thread?
The Byrds are cool: Mr Tambourine Man, Turn!, Turn!, Turn!, and...oh wait I don't know anything else from them, so that's a good recommendation.
Eleanor Rigby 14 is offline   Reply With Quote