Music Banter - View Single Post - The Wow I Can't Believe That News Story Thread
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2021, 12:15 PM   #22577 (permalink)
OccultHawk
one-balled nipple jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Let's be honest though: what are they gonna do? Jail her for a few years till she dies? At best she might last another five; are they really going to incarcerate a nonogerian? From a purely logistical point of view, look at all the extra medical care they'd need to give her in prison. And what about Covid? As a person of a very advanced age, isn't she going to be very vulnerable to that? Put her in a cell and she will probably die of the virus.

Why not give her a chance to state her case, issue an apology and leave it at that? Of course it won't bring back the dead, but isn't this just a case of prosecuting any lower (really lower) level functionary they can still find, just to be kind of bloody-minded about it? I don't mean to offend the descendants of any Jews who may have had people die in the camps, but doesn't there come a time when you stop pointing the finger of blame and extend the hand of conciliation instead?

I saw a programme where a female guard met one of the prisoners she used to deal with, and they had a sort of forgiveness and understanding thing that was quite beautiful. What is sentencing and imprisoning - or sentencing to death, I don't know if that's still a thing - an old old woman for being peripherally involved in the machinery of mass murder over seventy-five years ago really going to achieve?
Those are good points but on the other hand... it was the ****ing holocaust... you could make a strong argument that Germany got off lightly. If the Allies had had a different temperament they might not even be country anymore.

Regarding the program you saw: an individual may decide to forgive but for
something like this there’s no collective body that has the moral authority to offer forgiveness on a broad scale. It’s not like present day Israel has an actively anti German government. And we’d can’t ask the millions who were murdered to weigh in.

2016 2017 2018 2019 2020

Member of the Year & Journal of the Year Champion

Behold the Writing of THE LEGEND:

https://www.musicbanter.com/members-...p-lighter.html

OccultHawk is offline   Reply With Quote