Music Banter - View Single Post - The Wow I Can't Believe That News Story Thread
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2021, 08:29 PM   #22612 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
Bat, just so we’re living in reality: If they decided you were in anyway part of a resistance, and they could define non-compliance as anything they wanted, they killed you. Let’s not get that twisted.
Nazi Germany was still a capitalist state that dealt with and traded with the outside world. It was not a 1984 hellscape. You could be a normal citizen who went to work and paid their bills and chillaxed because Nazi Germany's main ficus of oppression was non-Aryans. They rose to power on the basis of serving what the middle class saw as the status quo. So long as you were a good German who didn't have "ideas" you could probably live fine under the Nazis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Say what you want. I've seen plenty of documentaries and read books which made it quite clear that you were required to join the Nazi party, no real choice. The Nazis controlled everything, from schools and hospitals to holidays and clubs. They were everywhere, and if you wanted to do business in Germany or basically just live in peace, you had to be a Party member.

I hope Burger King never comes under Nazi control; still, I guess at least they'll be able to say you were well hung.
Again, if you were a "good" German you could probably do alright under the Nazis. The horror of the Nazi regime wasn't that it upended the lives of ALL Germans, but whose lives it upended and how it made you complicit while living under the regime. Plenty of Germans had plenty good things to say about the regime even after the war.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote