Music Banter - View Single Post - The Bitch Box
Thread: The Bitch Box
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2021, 04:34 PM   #24484 (permalink)
jwb
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteater View Post
I don't fundamentally disagree here at all. That's why I think to fix humanity in a socioeconomic / macro sense, you can break it down in two tiers:

Shorter-term: Higher taxes on the top 1%, better healthcare / education, investment in infrastructure

Longer-term: Fix scarcity, implement labor automation via AI / robot work force, deal with existential / "spiritual-centric" issues, embrace biotech

Capitalism only exists now because you have these longer-term issues that need to be solved. Dealing with scarcity and labor would eliminate corporatism and would cause capitalism to be either dialed way back or it would no longer have any utility value as a means.
Actually I think we might disagree because I'm not nearly as confident that we'll be saved by technology. I think it's just a likely technology will take us out. Or that the class system will continue to perpetuate just in a more high tech way. So I'm not about to wait around for robot slaves to save me. In my perception, the robots are actually competition. Not an ally.

I don't know what the answer is but if I had the means like these bill Gates and other philanthropists I would be setting up model societies to see what kind of constraints and problems have to be overcome. I think you learn a lot by experience and so I take the theoretical with a huge grain of salt.

Quote:
Probably not. Would you say that the decrease in infant mortality is the reason why those populations are so much larger in 2021 than ever before?
it's possible, I don't really know what kind of medical care most of those people get when giving birth. I don't know if they have the same decrease in infant mortality that we do.
jwb is offline   Reply With Quote