Music Banter - View Single Post - Your Day
Thread: Your Day
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2021, 12:14 PM   #74233 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Monday View Post
The nagging wife trope irks me, it's just such a dumb unnecessary thing. It's just a dynamic that husbands and wives get pushed into by gender conventions. If men stopped looking for silly childish princesses they have no connection with beyond thinking they're cute, and women stopped looking for dumb machos to take care of them, things would be much better.
Try having a nagging sister! All the hassle with none of the benefits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ribbons View Post
*** MEGA HIGH-FIVE ***

And I never nagged!
I'd be happy to be nagged by you for the rest of my life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb View Post
the man cave trope, which you brought up first, is also a gender stereotype and no less tied up in the same dynamic as the nagging wife trope. You're no less gendered in your approach than anyone else you just (naturally, as a lesbian) target men instead.

I dunno how much truth there is in this bit so don't take it like I'm posting it as gospel, it's just comedy but I do think there's at least an element of truth here which I strongly identify with:

Quote:
the use of the term "broads" was very intentional
At least you didn't say skirts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo View Post
Take my wife! Please!
Definition of mixed feelings: watching your mother in law going over a cliff in your brand new sports car.
Copyright, MCP MMCX - ah damn it with Roman numerals! 1968
Quote:
I have a different pov. I'm not sure which of us is more cynical.

You say people just superficially choose mates and that's why they're left unsatisfied. I think there's a spectrum but generally speaking people choose long term mates not just based on looks or gender tropes but on an emotional connection.

I just tend to think no matter how strong that connection... It's not infinitely strong. **** will start to get old eventually. You will each start to have your own personal drives while you cohabitate. It is perfectly natural to slowly drift apart. It's like erosion.
More like entropy.