Music Banter - View Single Post - The Rest in Peace Thread (RIP)
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2021, 11:05 PM   #5908 (permalink)
adidasss
Slavic gay sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by ando here View Post
Self hate is a mofo. But there it is. Hip Hop is full of this kind of ambivalence. No getting around it. Shirtless, buff, hormone raging young dudes talkin **** about gay sex? Come on. The appeal is simultaneously disgusting and compelling. Glad he did it.
Glad he did what, spread hate against gay/trans people? I'm not, obviously. There is no excuse for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundgardenRocks View Post
With hip-hop, like ando said, you gotta take the bad with the good.In nature, much of hip hop is braggadocio and machismo. Black culture is a little frostier with homosexuality - and back then, especially so. You won't find these kind of slurs/references (homophobia, f* word) often in modern hip hop. It has evolved - and unfortunately our society is such that even a few decades ago, this kind of discrimination was widely accepted. Hip hop has and will progress.

That said, despite some of his homophobia, DMX was an incredibly great rapper. Many remember him for party songs, but his catalogue has a lot more than that. He was demonstrably a great rapper. I always saw a lot of Pac in him.
I won't regurgitate the same arguments I've already made here, but yeah, there are many problems in hip-hop that get written off as "part of the subculture". And I don't see why that's the case (maybe because I'm not an American). You don't have to take the bad with the good. You can be bothered by it, hold people accountable and listen to music you don't find problematic instead of overlooking stereotypes, prejudice and downright hate speech because it's "fun".

And as I keep saying, there core problem here is that there is a marked difference, still to this day and age, about how homophobia is treated and how racism is treated. Hopefully one day they will be equally condemned and people who have these kind of songs in their catalogue will be as condemned as racists are.

Last.fm
adidasss is offline   Reply With Quote