Music Banter - View Single Post - What Didn’t President Biden Do Now?
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2021, 07:54 PM   #123 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb View Post
sounds like a false dichotomy

You think the way this withdrawal was executed seems close to the best case scenario of what could have happened? Cause to me it seems much closer to a worst case. Seems completely botched even if the general idea of "withdrawing" was worth pursuing there's no reason to assume that what we are watching right now is actually a well thought out execution of that move. Seems like the intelligence was severely flawed and quite frankly we got caught with our pants down as we are desperately trying to flee the country while still sending reinforcements to try to stop the bleeding as we flee and completely abandon everyone stuck there.
I think there was never going to be a good way to pull out. 20 years and the Afghan President is on a plane with a suitcase full of cash as soon as the announcement is made, "his" generals are warlords who inflate the numbers of their forces to squeeze us for more cash, and their existing soldiers may or may not have bullets and shoes. The country existed on paper at best. There was no way to pull out that didn't end in collapse.

And once the news cycle finds its next chew toy this will be forgotten and a year from now "Biden got us out of Afghanistan but it kinda sucked" will be a poor talking point in the mid-terms.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote