Music Banter - View Single Post - Frank Zappa Appreciation Thread
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2021, 11:29 AM   #430 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin_Station View Post
First, all meaning is subjective period. But this seems bizarre to say. Zappa didn't seem to associate a negative connotation at all to the word "slut." I don't associate a negative connotation to it, either--quite the opposite rather. Zappa didn't find it negative or problematic or anything that men and women enjoyed sex. He was very pro enjoying sex.
Quoting the Butcher article yet again:
But gradually she began to experience moments of clarity. When Butcher heard one of the "Mothers" – the members of Zappa's backing band, the Mothers of Invention – say he felt sorry for one groupie because she had been with three different musicians on consecutive nights, she became irritated, since the men who behaved that way were congratulated for "scoring". Or as she says, with understatement: "I began to notice the double-standard."

Butcher was upset when Zappa did not see her point of view. Something clicked in her mind when she saw feminist campaigners in the news. "I saw a banner that said: 'Love me less, respect me more.' And I just thought: 'Yes. That's it.'" Butcher read Kate Millett's Sexual Politics, which came as a revelation to her, as it did to many women at that time. Excitedly, she told Zappa what she had realised. "I thought he'd be sympathetic, but he wasn't, completely the opposite."
https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...nk-zappa-women

Quote:
I've actually played with a handful of people who played with Zappa.
Cool! Who did you play with?

Quote:
Re supporting it, where in any of his lyrics is there any indication of seeing enjoying sex as something negative?
See again use of terms like "slut" and "easy".