Music Banter - View Single Post - Your Day
Thread: Your Day
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2021, 06:10 PM   #75760 (permalink)
adidasss
Slavic gay sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
This surprises me. I mean, it's your decision, obviously, but you're happy to put a good standard of living above your acceptance as a gay man? You're okay to go to countries that may persecute, or at best barely tolerate you, as long as you can live in a fancy apartment and eat caviar pizza? You don't think it would be worth accepting a small/large drop in living standards in return for being treated as a human being?
Well, the reality of it is that the only adjustment I'm making in the Middle east (and Malaysia) is to be "discreet" and not touch or kiss my partner in public, which we don't do in Croatia either. Maybe you'll be surprised to know but a great deal of gay people still have to be careful even in Europe. I can get my head bashed in Croatia or Spain or Ireland for holding by boyfriend's hand so it's nothing strange, unfortunately. We'd still have to behave in a similar way in Europe, only we'd be poor. :/

So yeah, it's not ideal but life's a bitch and I'm definitely not the type to starve for my principles. I'll take their homophobic money thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadis View Post
When was the last time you've been to Abu Dhabi? The UAE are desperate to establish themselves as some kind of liberal haven. Going there for a few year stint is by this point a cliché among Canadian yoga instructors, the single gayest demographic group anywhere in the world.

Not the entire ME is Saudi Arabia and ISIS. A close friend of mine, an extremely gay guy, taught French literature at the American University of Beirut for a few years and he was just fine. Had a great sex life by the sound of it.

Obviously fundamentalist Islam goes with horrific homophobia, but also the world is a bit more diverse than the picture of it you get by sitting in Texas and watching TV.
Most of these countries have a kind of don't ask don't tell policy. There are are plenty of local gay people (Lebanon especially has a thriving gay scene, although they are probably one of the most liberal arabic countries). Same in Malaysia, there is even a kind of gay club in the middle of KL. As long as you don't participate in any rowdy orgies, you are ok. Gay people exist and meet other gay people and have sex in Iran and Saudi also. People adjust to all kinds of circumstances and not everyone can simply move to the "liberal west".

Last.fm
adidasss is offline   Reply With Quote