Music Banter - View Single Post - The Saturday 6-Pack
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2022, 10:32 AM   #10940 (permalink)
Marie Monday
the bantering battleaxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Yeah that's fair comment, but let's remember that those put into the Colosseum were basically enemies of the State (i.e., Christians) and certainly not Roman citizens. As I said, if you paid your taxes, worshipped the right gods and kept your long aquiline Roman nose clean, in essence the senate left you alone. Certainly there was infighting among the noble houses, but in terms of being oppressed by your own government as a normal, law-abiding citizen, I don't think it really happened.

I suppose you could maybe see Castro as one too, though of course he crushed his enemies, but then, gotta crush something, ya know?
um what you describe there is kind of fascist and very oppressive though. If you personally don't experience obvious consequences of oppression that doesn't mean you're not oppressed. The whole idea of a dictator is that they enforce their own authority and opposition is not allowed, which can't be enforced without violence towards dissidents, which is not benevolent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
You sound like Buffy after they dragged her back from Heaven.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WWWP View Post
I want to open a school for MB's lost boys and teach them basic coping skills and build up their self esteem and strengthen their emotional intelligence and teach them about vegetables and institutionalized racism and sexism and then they'll all build a bronze statue of me in my honor and my bronzed titties will forever be groped by the grubby paws of you ****ing whiny pathetic white boys.
Marie Monday is offline   Reply With Quote