Music Banter - View Single Post - The Country, Folk & World Recommendation Thread
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2022, 08:06 AM   #1072 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Always good to see John Martyn represented on Music Banter, Ayn, and this is as good a place as any to put his music - except that again, I'm afraid, there is already a thread dedicated to good old JM:- https://www.musicbanter.com/general-...hn-martyn.html

(I am a bit of a stickler about keeping MB in good order; I'd say that the majority of members probably care a lot less than I do about these things. None the less, I wonder if I might suggest the "search" function that appears on the top banner of the MB screen. It's not always helpful, though I find the results are much more useful when I use the "show posts" option which it offers.)

John Martyn certainly started out with folk music, but took a lot of liberties with its interpretation! Here's a guy with a more conventional approach who I imagine you've heard of: Lionel Long is not a particular favourite of mine, but he was good at conveying the beauty inherent in some old traditional songs:-

PS: as for recognizing genres of music, I found that I learnt an awful lot just by poking around on MB. In my head, I divide my musical education into two parts: before joining MB and after joining MB.