Music Banter - View Single Post - Russian modernism
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2022, 09:57 AM   #28 (permalink)
GD
???pp? ??snW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadis View Post
Absolutely. The late Scriabin comes closer to atonality than most of Prokofiev's or Shostakovich's works that I know. These preludes are another great example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MApCm3UO6nQ
Nice one! I'm also into a lot of Scriabin's earlier stuff but it's maybe not so relevant for this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayn Marx View Post
Thanks for posting those links. My organ teacher made a transcription of those pieces I found almost impossible to get right. Even just reading them now is scary. Great work though (with a subtle undertow of madness?)
Not Russian but I’m reminded of Alkan whose originality, eccentricity and scary technical difficulty is too often ignored.
I've actually been meaning to check out more from Alkan but have heard very little so far. Feel free to start a dedicated thread for him if you would like to share some of his music, because I don't think we have an Alkan thread on MB yet.
lasty|rate-y music-y
GD is offline   Reply With Quote