Music Banter - View Single Post - The queer corner
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2022, 07:19 PM   #1366 (permalink)
Ayn Marx
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadis View Post
Btw Melbourne is today known as one of the most liberal cities in the world but I wonder if that's a relatively new thing, say of the past couple of decades? Did it have a reputation as bohemian and open-minded in the 1980-90s?
Bohemia was alive and well in Melbourne long before the general population accepted it. I have fond memories of Saturday night/Sunday mornings in the 1970s attending The Supper Club in Toorak Rd, Sth Yarra, where from midnight European & ’Art’ movies were shown. Horrible coffee, nasty cheese and sometimes seriously horrible wine was provided to an audience made up of everything from screaming queens, bikies, artists, Dy*es, academics, poets etc, all groups of ‘outsiders’ who sadly today hardly ever mix.
Down the road was The Devil’s Inn catering to the gay crowd, and our followers, where horrible coffee was also served along with very nasty toasted (read burnt) raisin bread . The music was loud with hysterical queens dancing on tables. At closing time we'd often invite attendees home to our flat nearby where the coffee was better and the sex was - - - -well, I’ll leave that to your foetid imaginations.

Why the hell does the idiot software here forbid us typing ‘dyk*s’ ?

Last edited by Ayn Marx; 06-18-2022 at 07:56 PM.
Ayn Marx is offline   Reply With Quote