Music Banter - View Single Post - The queer corner
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2022, 10:44 AM   #1461 (permalink)
jwb
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayn Marx View Post
There’s some truth in what you say but for me the central issue is consent. Can, for instance, a ten year old, male or female, consent to having sex with an adult of either sex fully knowing what they’re getting themselves involved in?

My perspective is one people have argued with but I can’t get my head around the idea a young pre-pubescent child being regarded as a sexual being. Sensual maybe but sexual? So, even though my sex life started at 14 I just can’t agree with the idea of an adult seducing someone pre-pubescent. There’s another issue here seldom discussed. Today, young girls are entering pubescence far earlier than ever before due to chemicals polluting our environment triggering precocious development.
I don't actually believe that the way we even refer to consent in these cases has anything to do with desire to have sex, which is why it's counter intuitive. It only has to do with whether we deem you capable of responsibly making such a decision, which is a completely arbitrary standard we have set because we want to extend childhood another 10 years.

12 -14 year old brides was normal up until recently so the idea that these kids are biologically or mentally incapable of handling sex is a pretty recent invention. I do think they're probably better off being protected in this way... But then if we are perfectly honest there are definitely going to be people over the age of 20 who realistically would also be better off avoiding it.

However, people have sex drives. And I don't know about anyone else here but I think 14 years old was probably the horniest age of my life. I think everyone accepts that teenage sex with other teens is going to happen. We only bring consent in when an adult is involved because it's just about protecting them from predators really it's not actually about consenting to sex itself.

Cause if you are going to say the sex might traumatize them at that age then it stands to reason that sex with other teens also might traumatize them. We wouldn't let 6 year old have sex as long as it was with other 6 year olds, but we do this with teens because we realize intrinsically that they are sexual beings and we are attempting to suppress that or put it back in the box until we're ready to deal with it at age 18.
jwb is offline   Reply With Quote