Music Banter - View Single Post - MB Album Club 2022
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2023, 05:25 AM   #604 (permalink)
rubber soul
Call me Mustard

THE DONKEYS- RIDE THE BLACK WAVE

So, I guess this is what passes as Indie Rock these days. Don’t get me wrong; this isn’t a bad album, just something that doesn’t stand out for me. The first track, Sunny Daze, seems a little long, but the rest of the album is basically a piece of pleasant pop with some folk rock influences. Imperial Beach is an interesting raga instrumental, though again, nothing out of the ordinary. Ride the Black Wave is the closest thing I’ve seen as a standout track so far.

And maybe that’s it. There aren’t really that many standout tracks. Then again, there aren’t really any stinkers on here either. It’s just a pleasant piece of folk rock circa 2014. Wiki compared them to bands like Pavement and Crosby Stills and Nash, but I don’t see it. Nonetheless, while I wouldn’t attack someone with a chain saw for this album, it is a pleasant listen, especially Bahamas, which I also like a lot with the female (I think) vocals.

So, with that…

7/10 (The Word has spoken )
rubber soul is offline   Reply With Quote