Music Banter - View Single Post - R.E.M. - Opinions
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2023, 03:00 PM   #186 (permalink)
SGR
No Ice In My Bourbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
Thanks, rs. Good to have a name to put to the jangly guitarist, who is contributing so much to the REM sound: the "wanna-be Byrds" guy of elphenor's description, I suppose.

Yes, I will definitely take your advice and move on to Murmur next because I am well pleased with this Chronic Town recommendation. I also notice that most people here seem to favour early REM. Perhaps REM follow the arc of many bands: bold, innovative sound at the start of their careers, then getting soft, self-indulgent or over-complicated furthur down the line.

^ 11th grade!! We should have been talking about you in that "Is it creepy...?" thread about young posters. I hope MB treated you appropriately when you first came here. Is that old post identified as SGR, or did you have a chrysalis under a different name, before breaking out into the butterfly that is SGR?
Yeah lol - you can find the posts on page 10 or 11 i think - and it is under SGR - back then I was SoundgardenRocks until getting the username changed what, a year ago or so? MB did always treat me good - I was humbled with how much the posters back then knew - how much different stuff they listened to. And I'd have users like BastardOfYoung and Unknown Soldier and even Urban that I'd occasionally DM for recommendations - to which they always were accomadating.

I actually prefer 90s REM to 80s REM, despite the fact that their strongest album(s) are probably from the '80s. Their sound is a lot more varied. And their first 2000s album, Reveal, is also a favorite of mine. A very dreamy and sunny record. It doesn't have the same energy as early REM though.
SGR is offline   Reply With Quote