Music Banter - View Single Post - R.E.M. - Opinions
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2023, 02:20 PM   #191 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Yep, it's good to be reminded that good lyrics and good poetry-on-the-page are not the same thing. I imagine we all agree that they share this kind of relationship:

Also we might, as Frownland neatly summarises, "confuse delivery with lyrical quality" in the passion of the moment. I'm sure I'm not the only person who has been swept away by Tutti-Frutti-Ohh-Rutti and thought "This is the best poetry I've ever come across!"

(As some of you might have noticed, I've got a fat book of Dylan lyrics which even has a little built-in ribbon bookmark like you get in a prayerbook. It's interesting to me, partly because the lyrics are in Spanish and English, but I wouldn't want anyone to think that I give it the status of the Bible.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
Syd Barrett's "Bike" is the perfect example of a song elevated by memorable lyrics
Yep, that's a good song, though ironically, me and my mates always used to think of it as "a bit of a joke", which was often an element in his lyrics. I suppose what I like about SB is the way his lyrics lurch around unpredicatably between surreal, cryptic, simple and childlike, with meaning and nonsense apparently squabbling over who's in charge.

Frownland is capable of arguing his position better than most of us, so I feel like we have been short-changed on this one :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
REM sux