Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official Religious/Political Debate Thread
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2006, 10:51 PM   #1314 (permalink)
The Ten Thousandth Fist
Music Taste is Subjective

I'm a creationist, personally. But here is my argument.

Natural selection? Makes perfect sense, because it does actually happen. The best suited for an environment will survive. We see that happen with everything from viruses to vultures. Darwin knew what he was talking about when he wrote that. I think, too, that living things adapt to their environments to best survive, so in that regard, Darwin is also correct.

However. The biggest thing that puts up red flags in my mind is this. If the Big Bang actually happened, then how did everything fall into alignment so perfectly? It's been postulated, tested and theorized that had our Earth been only a few miles closer to, or farther from, the sun, the planet would have been too harsh a climate for us to survive.

It also seems like DNA is a hot topic in this thread. How, by simple chance (read: Big Bang), would so many trillions upon trillions of proteins, amino acids, cells, etc., have fit together perfectly in order to create creatures complex enough to evolve? For example, the human eye. Its mechanism for sight is amazingly complex. Same thing with ears, and that doesn't even apply to just humans' ears.

Yes, the Bible was written by mortal men. Yes, it's definitely possible that none of it was written by Jesus Christ. Yes, it does seem ridiculous that a man was swallowed by a big fish (was never indicated that it was a whale in the Bible) and survived for several days. Yes, it does seem weird that a woman was shaped from a man's rib.

But who's to say that what mortal men wrote isn't true? Especially in a society where honesty, honor and correctness were almost the difference between life and death? Yeah, being swallowed by a big fish and surviving for a few days seems impossible now. But back then, who knows? We don't. Same with woman being shaped from a man's rib. By my interpretation, when God shaped woman from Adam's rib, it meant that the rib was the basic shape - a curvier, less rough outline than that of a male.

Naturally, the Bible is open to interpretation. But that by no means allows people to fully debunk it. After all, isn't that where societies laid the foundation for laws? The bringing down of the Commandments? Or was that just a myth too?