Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > The Lounge
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2006, 10:03 PM   #1311 (permalink)
My home? Discabled,
 
Barnard17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Bristol, UK
Posts: 203
Default

Hiu, if the Bible is the Greatest Book ever made, then Dan Brown is also the greatest author everinever. And that ain't happenin'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkaba
Theory is more or less a word for those who like to sit on the fence and ignore probable reason.

Theory is also what we use when we make it clear that we're open to alternatives, should one more fitting appear. Gravity is not a fact. The affects of gravity are scientific law, but the theory (that this is caused by the Earths magnetic pull) is a theory and only proven to an extent. There could be a million people living in the Earth, constantly sucking in, which creates the affect of gravity. Who knows? I haven't seen them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Magnet
Yeah, I agree, to an extent. Saying that particular things (such as gravity) are 'just theories' can be rather ridiculous.
But also rather true. The point we're making is that you can't degrade something because "it's just a theory", because everything else in science is as well.
__________________


Vita brevis,
Occasio praeceps
Barnard17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 10:06 PM   #1312 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
bungalow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hot-lanta
Posts: 3,140
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkaba
This is what we call overly PC.

Theory is more or less a word for those who like to sit on the fence and ignore probable reason.

It has been proven that magnetism of the planet creates a pull towards the centre of the earth. So when planes fall out of the sky, and people say "oh well it might not be gravity, it might have been a big blast of wind", you know they're a little queer.

If you wanna be fancy, sure everything is theory, but it's ignorance to sit on the sideline and say "that may not be the case" when there is probable reason favouring the event in discussion.
That was my point.
Theories are, more or less, fact.
People try to dismiss theories by saying "they are just theories."

You misunderstood. I'm right with you.

I just noticed that if you really look at this post, you could get A LOT of money out of me. I doubt any of you will figure out how, lucky me.
bungalow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 10:29 PM   #1313 (permalink)
Whitewater!
 
Merkaba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 2,885
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fal
Theory is also what we use when we make it clear that we're open to alternatives, should one more fitting appear. Gravity is not a fact. The affects of gravity are scientific law, but the theory (that this is caused by the Earths magnetic pull) is a theory and only proven to an extent. There could be a million people living in the Earth, constantly sucking in, which creates the affect of gravity. Who knows? I haven't seen them.
Okay so over the oceans there is no 'gravity'? I agree with being open to options, but don't be so open your left with complete indecision. It's like your at a cross road in your life, and so you just stand there waiting for an answer to come you. What a waste of life.

Are we going to find the answer to such things as gravity in our lifetimes? Not likely. So why sit around and say well there may be no such thing as gravity, but compared to the alternatives, it is all but fact.
__________________
She thinks I'm a reclusive genius, she's going to be very disappointed when she finds out i'm a reclusive wanker
Merkaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 11:51 PM   #1314 (permalink)
Music Taste is Subjective
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Hell if I know.
Posts: 79
Default

I'm a creationist, personally. But here is my argument.

Natural selection? Makes perfect sense, because it does actually happen. The best suited for an environment will survive. We see that happen with everything from viruses to vultures. Darwin knew what he was talking about when he wrote that. I think, too, that living things adapt to their environments to best survive, so in that regard, Darwin is also correct.

However. The biggest thing that puts up red flags in my mind is this. If the Big Bang actually happened, then how did everything fall into alignment so perfectly? It's been postulated, tested and theorized that had our Earth been only a few miles closer to, or farther from, the sun, the planet would have been too harsh a climate for us to survive.

It also seems like DNA is a hot topic in this thread. How, by simple chance (read: Big Bang), would so many trillions upon trillions of proteins, amino acids, cells, etc., have fit together perfectly in order to create creatures complex enough to evolve? For example, the human eye. Its mechanism for sight is amazingly complex. Same thing with ears, and that doesn't even apply to just humans' ears.

Yes, the Bible was written by mortal men. Yes, it's definitely possible that none of it was written by Jesus Christ. Yes, it does seem ridiculous that a man was swallowed by a big fish (was never indicated that it was a whale in the Bible) and survived for several days. Yes, it does seem weird that a woman was shaped from a man's rib.

But who's to say that what mortal men wrote isn't true? Especially in a society where honesty, honor and correctness were almost the difference between life and death? Yeah, being swallowed by a big fish and surviving for a few days seems impossible now. But back then, who knows? We don't. Same with woman being shaped from a man's rib. By my interpretation, when God shaped woman from Adam's rib, it meant that the rib was the basic shape - a curvier, less rough outline than that of a male.

Naturally, the Bible is open to interpretation. But that by no means allows people to fully debunk it. After all, isn't that where societies laid the foundation for laws? The bringing down of the Commandments? Or was that just a myth too?
__________________
"There was nothing about her that a vasectomy of the vocal cords wouldn't fix."
The Ten Thousandth Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 12:44 AM   #1315 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Stone Magnet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Keswick, Ontario
Posts: 731
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungalowbill357
Theories are, more or less, fact.
Conceivably facts.

Nice post by the way, Ten Thousandth Fist.
__________________
Lock to field screen, row the ocean onto sentient ground.
New rites of a Vedic sun to attend the blue horizon.
Prevails flight resplendent, sails the shrine effulgent windship.
Stillness breathes apex supreme - I walk toward the mountain.

Crowns the sovereic rite to freedom.
Shored the origin forms to a ground accede.
Axiom core of the light shrine flight to shining.
Glows serene to attenuate the space and time.
Stone Magnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 01:26 AM   #1316 (permalink)
Thrice
 
holdfasthope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 62
Default

man, i read up to about page 8, and got sick of reading this. I've never seen such ignorence such as what i just read by Fal and bungalow.

The big Bang theory is already on the downfall, scientists have discovered that it just, to put it simply, has to many holes. They are, and have been looking for alternative theories to the origion of us, the universe etc. for the last 10 years. To say it is anything more than a very loose theory is false.

Evolution- they have NEVER found any transitional fossils, not one. Please, for the sake of anyone who comes here (as i did) hoping to find some "logical" (as you, Fal, put it) arguments, please so some research before you blindly argue under a cloth of ignorence.

For who ever said the bible is full of bull **** (cant remember who it was). Please, dont bother posting in another thread that requires knowledge above that of a lemon.

I am not christian, but I know the bible has some pretty sweet stuff in it. Whether your an atheist (the happy bunch that you are) or what ever, you'd be a fool not to admit that.
As i said im not christian, but i seek for something more than us being merely carbon and chemicals. And ive seen some things in the church, that the majority of you would never believe in a heart beat unless you saw it for yourself, so when i say im not christian, i believe in their god, i am just yet to give my life to christ.

that is all.

for those that want some info on creationism or intellegent design, i cool starting point is here: http://www.answersingenesis.org/


Enjoy.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowquill
i would like it to be known that holdfasthope is amazing, and even though we are equally attractive...more then YOU ever will be, i worship that man with all my heart. for he is my light in this darkened world.

The Earth Will Shake



Music Banter Dream Team Members Are Ghey

my band=www.myspace.com/wingsofthefallen
holdfasthope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 01:28 AM   #1317 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
bungalow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hot-lanta
Posts: 3,140
Default

bungalow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 01:30 AM   #1318 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
bungalow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hot-lanta
Posts: 3,140
Default



That is the evoltion of a horses foot.
Is that guess work?

You must have gone to a Christian School to have it pounded into your brain that evolutionary fossils have never been found. In fact, I'm going to come right out and call you a f*cking idiot for saying that. You, my friend, need to research what you say before you walk into this thread and make blind, and completly false statements.
bungalow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 01:31 AM   #1319 (permalink)
Thrice
 
holdfasthope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 62
Default

nice rebuttal
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowquill
i would like it to be known that holdfasthope is amazing, and even though we are equally attractive...more then YOU ever will be, i worship that man with all my heart. for he is my light in this darkened world.

The Earth Will Shake



Music Banter Dream Team Members Are Ghey

my band=www.myspace.com/wingsofthefallen
holdfasthope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 01:31 AM   #1320 (permalink)
Thrice
 
holdfasthope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 62
Default

/sarcasm
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowquill
i would like it to be known that holdfasthope is amazing, and even though we are equally attractive...more then YOU ever will be, i worship that man with all my heart. for he is my light in this darkened world.

The Earth Will Shake



Music Banter Dream Team Members Are Ghey

my band=www.myspace.com/wingsofthefallen
holdfasthope is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.