Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official Religious/Political Debate Thread
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2006, 10:43 AM   #1336 (permalink)
davidMC1982
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by holdfasthope
seriously, i'm speachless. Where do you get educated? EVOLUTION IS NOT PROVEN. IT IS NOT FACT. IT IS A THOERY WITH MANY HOLES. IT IS NOT FACT.

far out, it is impossible to debate with someone, when they cant admit what is blatantly obvious. Go ask any credible scientist if evolution is proven fact. My god, people, i now remember why i left these boards.
Evolution is a proven fact. It may not be proven that humans decended from x, y, or z species, but it is proven that they have evolved. In fact, we can quite accurately trace our evolution back to pre-historic man, something far removed from what we are today. Since we are now the dominant species, this evolution has slowed down considerably.

You can even prove the theory of evolution in your own home. Farmers use the theory everyday. Those who "create" new species of flowers use the same principal. The theory itself is sound. The mechanics of it (the hows so to speak) are still a work in progress, but only to the same extent that the theory of gravity is a work in progress.

The problem you find with creationism, is that it requires a giant leap of faith. The more we find out about the way the universe works, the more evidence we have disproving creationism (particularly as depicted in the bible). The theory, that an omnipotent being created everything, is a valid theory, but only when taken out of the bounds of religion (Adam and Eve), and into the realms of science (discussing the level of 'design' that surrounds us). However, that indication of design in no way proves the creationism theory. It can equally well be applied to the theory of evolution. Creationism has not a single bit of evidence that would suggest it to be true. There is plenty of evidence that suggests evolution, or a similar concept thereof, to be a valid theory describing our origins.

The difference between the two sides of the argument is plain to see. We have one group who require evidence, logic and science before something is accepted as fact. We have the other group who are willing to make a leap of faith, who simply "believe" things to be true.

One final point. Somone mention the odds of us being here (something about a tornado through a junk yard creating an airplane). It is estimated there is something of the order of 10^22 stars in the universe (10000000000000000000000). Surely it is highly unlikely we are the only life giving planet! Surely the right circumstances to support life just happened to occur more than once, with all those tries to get it right? When people quote statistics regarding the likelyhood of something occuring in the universe, they seem to forget the sheer size of the universe.

Dave
davidMC1982 is offline   Reply With Quote