Music Banter - View Single Post - Choose a Song You Love and Explain Why
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2006, 07:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Strummer521
Pepper Emergency!

Default Choose a Song You Love and Explain Why

I'll start...

"Train In Vain" - The Clash (London Calling, 1979)

This song starts with a typically solid grooving beat at the hands of Topper Headon and a jumpy two note riff courtesy of Mick Jones who wrote and sang the tune. This sets the pace for the song and is dangerously on the verge of being cheesy as the rest of it. This is a big part of its charm. The band is either ingnorant of the slight cheesiness, or they just don't care. All that aside, the rhythm is instantly gripping. the vocals are highly passionate and expressive, strained in the way that shows the man has felt what he sings about. I am a big fan of songs like this that tackle subjects that would be cause for depression with such a fun interpretation (i.e. "Run For Your Life" - The Beatles). The blissful cheeriness is contagious and never fails to put a smile on my face. The way the brightness of the music contrasts the lyrics, the song becomes about overcoming sadness and the other problems life throws your way. For me, this is the ultimate feel-good song and to answer Barry's question in High Fidelity, my favorite song to play on a monday morning.
Strummer521 is offline   Reply With Quote