Music Banter - View Single Post - THE ONLY Tool Thread
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2006, 04:18 AM   #196 (permalink)
DontRunMeOver
They call me Tundra Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Magnet
"I got an A for my A-level music paper about the Rite of Spring"
And where does the word essay feature in that sentence? It doesn't. Not all exam papers are essays. Almost every music examination I've ever taken has involved either playing, listening to or writing music. In the case of listening tests, this involved understanding the pitches, textures and rhythms involved and how they relate to the music. These have been mostly specific questions to test how well you actually understand the music which is being played, how the notes relate to each other and how they show different influences and new ideas... not single essay topics designed for you to ramble to and to show how well you learnt your teacher's classroom spiel.

Quote:
I know more about Tool than you do
Maybe, although I'm not sure what form this knowledge takes when you have to cut and paste a quote from the drummer to say what time signatures his drumbeat is using instead of just listening to the song and telling us yourself.