Music Banter - View Single Post - Green Day vs. Oasis
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2006, 12:48 PM   #81 (permalink)
DontRunMeOver
They call me Tundra Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilebehindemptyeyes View Post
Oasis wasn't all that influential on the "rock" scene as a whole..they may have been on thier homeland, but not here in the states. so arguing this is a moot point. it's my own fault for comparing them to nirvana i guess, but i didn't realize how big they were in England. Guess it's like how popular Local H is here in Chicago..but outside of here, not all that many know of them anymore.
That's a very sketchy conclusion to come to. There are currently plenty of important British bands and to all of these bands Oasis have been important in one way or another. Some have taken many of their musical stylings from Oasis while others were just influenced by the idea of forming a band with their friends... and the interest is this was largely stimulated by, that's right, Oasis.

I can quite confidently state that in the 90's, Oasis were the most important contemporary band in inspiring British youths to pick up instruments and form their own bands. Nirvana, Radiohead, Blur, Greenday and maybe Metallica were all important too, but Oasis were the daddies in terms of influence.

There's no case for saying they "may" have been influential in the UK. They is no doubt that they were important here. And if they were important here in the UK and on the bands which the UK are currently producing, then they were definitely important in the "rock scene as a whole".

Therefore, you are wrong.