Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2006, 12:48 PM   #81 (permalink)
They call me Tundra Boy
 
DontRunMeOver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In your linen cupboard.
Posts: 1,166
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilebehindemptyeyes View Post
Oasis wasn't all that influential on the "rock" scene as a whole..they may have been on thier homeland, but not here in the states. so arguing this is a moot point. it's my own fault for comparing them to nirvana i guess, but i didn't realize how big they were in England. Guess it's like how popular Local H is here in Chicago..but outside of here, not all that many know of them anymore.
That's a very sketchy conclusion to come to. There are currently plenty of important British bands and to all of these bands Oasis have been important in one way or another. Some have taken many of their musical stylings from Oasis while others were just influenced by the idea of forming a band with their friends... and the interest is this was largely stimulated by, that's right, Oasis.

I can quite confidently state that in the 90's, Oasis were the most important contemporary band in inspiring British youths to pick up instruments and form their own bands. Nirvana, Radiohead, Blur, Greenday and maybe Metallica were all important too, but Oasis were the daddies in terms of influence.

There's no case for saying they "may" have been influential in the UK. They is no doubt that they were important here. And if they were important here in the UK and on the bands which the UK are currently producing, then they were definitely important in the "rock scene as a whole".

Therefore, you are wrong.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katyppfan View Post
When Pete plays it is 100% live , your music if that's what you call it doesn't sound so good either? so you can't really critercize can you ?
DontRunMeOver is offline  
Old 09-18-2006, 01:02 PM   #82 (permalink)
The Sexual Intellectual
 
Urban Hat€monger ?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Somewhere cooler than you
Posts: 18,447
Default

Whats The Story Morning Glory was the fastest selling British album by a British artist.
Say what you want about how crap they are now that beats The Beatles , The Stones , Led Zeppelin , Pink Floyd , The Smiths ... everybody.

They were a breath of fresh air when they first came out. If Nirvana killed hair metal in the U.S. (It was never really that popular in the UK) then Oasis killed grunge in the UK.
__________________



Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline  
Old 09-18-2006, 04:48 PM   #83 (permalink)
Ace
Ad Astra
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 730
Default

Nah there can be no conclusion as to what nation produces better bands, and that's an issue that doesn't really matter. As long as they make radio play here, they'll be listened to and probably liked. But of course a band is going to be bigger where they're from, for the soul reason that's who plays them and where they first tour.
__________________



Quote:
Originally Posted by RezZ View Post
I think I know much better than you ever will how Mettalica is. I used to play for 2 years in a Mettalica cover band.



Ace is offline  
Old 09-18-2006, 07:24 PM   #84 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontRunMeOver View Post
That's a very sketchy conclusion to come to. There are currently plenty of important British bands and to all of these bands Oasis have been important in one way or another. Some have taken many of their musical stylings from Oasis while others were just influenced by the idea of forming a band with their friends... and the interest is this was largely stimulated by, that's right, Oasis.

I can quite confidently state that in the 90's, Oasis were the most important contemporary band in inspiring British youths to pick up instruments and form their own bands. Nirvana, Radiohead, Blur, Greenday and maybe Metallica were all important too, but Oasis were the daddies in terms of influence.

There's no case for saying they "may" have been influential in the UK. They is no doubt that they were important here. And if they were important here in the UK and on the bands which the UK are currently producing, then they were definitely important in the "rock scene as a whole".

Therefore, you are wrong.
"may have been" was poor wording on my part. sorry about that. Again though, this comes down to U.S. and British picks. I guess we'll just have to look at it like that. But I didn't mean to say they weren't Influential on the rock scene as whole..again, I didn't word my post properly, so it's my own fault. The only reason I got into this thread was because someone made the statement that Oasis was the biggest band of the 90's. Again, it's become obvious that's the case over there, but it wasn't the case here. I guess that I should specify that my views are based on my own opinions and experience here in America, and that I don't speak for the rest of the world. I'm sure there are even people here that would argue with me (cuz we all know how much people love to argue on the internet..i think it might be the favorite pastime of 70% of all american males between the ages of 15 and 38). So, good on Oasis for their inspiration and success over there..and more power to the people who support them. Everyone has their own tastes, and who is anyone to tell them what they should or shouldn't like.
smilebehindemptyeyes is offline  
Old 10-09-2006, 02:27 PM   #85 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Suspence365's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 8
Default

What's with all the Oasis hate here? I think the discussion here is about who is the BETTER band, not who is bigger, who has more influence in their respective countries. This discussion has been winding down to an argument about who is bigger, Nirvana or Oasis, who has inspired kids to do what, and those are all legitimate music discussions but at the end of the day I would have to simply say that Oasis is a better band than Green Day. We could argue about what constitutes a better band, since as a songwriter Noel Gallagher has his hits and misses and Oasis must, as a band, go along with that (Be Here Now, Oasis' 3rd album, being an example of what the world considered a miss, but a good album nonetheless in my opinion), but either way, my vote is Oasis.
__________________
No one I think is in my tree
Suspence365 is offline  
Old 10-09-2006, 03:19 PM   #86 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
boo boo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Where the buffalo roam.
Posts: 12,137
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzak View Post
Who the hell is Oasis?
Mediocre Beatles cover band who thrives on insulting every musician with a single ounce of talent.
boo boo is offline  
Old 10-09-2006, 03:22 PM   #87 (permalink)
The Sexual Intellectual
 
Urban Hat€monger ?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Somewhere cooler than you
Posts: 18,447
Default

Don`t think i`ve ever seen Oasis slag off anyone that didn`t deserve it.

I`m sure i`ll not be able to sleep at night knowing those blokes from Starsailor & Keane got their little feelings hurt.
__________________



Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline  
Old 10-09-2006, 03:28 PM   #88 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
boo boo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Where the buffalo roam.
Posts: 12,137
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger View Post
Don`t think i`ve ever seen Oasis slag off anyone that didn`t deserve it.
Don't forget Radiohead, Blur, The Beatles and every other band that is better than Oasis in every way.
boo boo is offline  
Old 10-09-2006, 03:29 PM   #89 (permalink)
The Sexual Intellectual
 
Urban Hat€monger ?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Somewhere cooler than you
Posts: 18,447
Default

I`ve heard Noel Gallagher say good things about all those bands , even Blur.
__________________



Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline  
Old 10-09-2006, 03:31 PM   #90 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
boo boo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Where the buffalo roam.
Posts: 12,137
Default

Oh, I must be thinking about the crappy singer that's drunk all the time.

Meh, Oasis are good at what they do, I just think they are the biggest douches in the business, Morrissey aside.
boo boo is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2020 Advameg, Inc.