Music Banter - View Single Post - Green Day vs. Oasis
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2006, 07:24 PM   #84 (permalink)
smilebehindemptyeyes
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontRunMeOver View Post
That's a very sketchy conclusion to come to. There are currently plenty of important British bands and to all of these bands Oasis have been important in one way or another. Some have taken many of their musical stylings from Oasis while others were just influenced by the idea of forming a band with their friends... and the interest is this was largely stimulated by, that's right, Oasis.

I can quite confidently state that in the 90's, Oasis were the most important contemporary band in inspiring British youths to pick up instruments and form their own bands. Nirvana, Radiohead, Blur, Greenday and maybe Metallica were all important too, but Oasis were the daddies in terms of influence.

There's no case for saying they "may" have been influential in the UK. They is no doubt that they were important here. And if they were important here in the UK and on the bands which the UK are currently producing, then they were definitely important in the "rock scene as a whole".

Therefore, you are wrong.
"may have been" was poor wording on my part. sorry about that. Again though, this comes down to U.S. and British picks. I guess we'll just have to look at it like that. But I didn't mean to say they weren't Influential on the rock scene as whole..again, I didn't word my post properly, so it's my own fault. The only reason I got into this thread was because someone made the statement that Oasis was the biggest band of the 90's. Again, it's become obvious that's the case over there, but it wasn't the case here. I guess that I should specify that my views are based on my own opinions and experience here in America, and that I don't speak for the rest of the world. I'm sure there are even people here that would argue with me (cuz we all know how much people love to argue on the internet..i think it might be the favorite pastime of 70% of all american males between the ages of 15 and 38). So, good on Oasis for their inspiration and success over there..and more power to the people who support them. Everyone has their own tastes, and who is anyone to tell them what they should or shouldn't like.