Music Banter - View Single Post - Whiny little punk bands today
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2004, 09:58 PM   #13 (permalink)
Oi_To_The_World
Unpatriot Act

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiaw
bands like those mentioned above are just like any other in any other genre. record companies see a new trend they can develop and push different bands into that gap.. so that they can make money. it's all about target audience. boy bands are gonna sell albums to 11 year old girls, punk bands are gonna sell albums to frustrated teenagers. popular music is not real music. it's just whatever is likely to sell the most copies and therefore make the most money. genuinly good bands rarely break through.
i beg to differ. buttloads of good bands have been able to break through (i certainly would not say bands like tool or NIN or nirvana for example are not "real music"). i dont see why people have to hate something just because it is popular/mainstream. with your logic, we can classify each genre of music with a stereotypical "core" audience. and what new trends are the companies exploiting? if that were true, wouldnt everything be rap-metal, god forbid. pop and punk (the ones you mention) are obviously not new trends, there hasnt been any new trends within those genres either.
never mind.
Oi_To_The_World is offline   Reply With Quote