Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official Religious/Political Debate Thread
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2004, 09:12 AM   #285 (permalink)
rise_above
drummer

I think the majority of the problems our planet faces today are the result of our own misguided delusions, our stubborn shortsightedness and an infuriating inability to see our species for who we really are. We don't understand cultures that are different from our own and because our brains are hardwired with a defense mechanism to be wary and fearful of things that are strange or foreign to us, we easily resort to the base emotions of jealousy and hatred which leads to violence and war. We choose to compete instead of trying to cooperate to achieve a collective goal. Because of our false pride and paranoia all our valuable resources are spent fighting, killing and hating each other instead of combatting our common enemies of hunger, disease and poverty. I think our society has become so self-obsessed with image, and looks, and fashion, and reality TV and botox and extreme makeovers that we can't see that our society itself needs an extreme makeover. I think it's crazy and suicidal that our government spends thirteen times as much on weapons of war as they do on diplomacy. And also, I think if it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, there's probably a lawyer that can convince a jury that there's reasonable doubt that it's not a duck and that's why the legal system is so screwed up.
rise_above is offline   Reply With Quote