Music Banter - View Single Post - Classic albums any true music fan should own or at least listen to
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2007, 01:50 PM   #191 (permalink)
Moon Pix
In a very sad sad zoo

Location: "Out on tour with Smashing Pumpkins, nature kids, they don't have no function"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevorkian Logic View Post
Usually high commercial success signifies that the album has lost a certain uniqueness or individuality, preferring a catchier, more musically that the band had. I actually only mentioned that albums commercial success, because he had the overwhelming tendency to pick the albums that were the most famous, instead of the album that was more musically more complex and innovative.

I never referred to it as VD either, I have no qualms with the majority of commercial music, in fact 2 of my most played songs on lastfm account are from Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain. I just don't think that it is their most intovative or musically superior album, like most commercial albums.
The thing though with Pavement, and Malkmus' songwriting generally, is that its never lost its uniqueness. Slanted was the record that had the lo-fi sound quality that sounded like it was like a 27th generation dub or something with loads of tape noise. Crooked Rain has a far more professional sound to it but the compositions and arrangements on that are still as weird and idiosyncratic as Slanted in my opinion.

Quote:
by the way, you might it enjoy reading the main article in Magnet this month, it's on Chan Marshall, I assume from your sn that you like her.
I do. I love her. She's my favourite artist. I wrote A History of Cat Power for the history thread but I dont think anybody read it. I don't know about the article though. Im on the Matador forum and somebody who read the Magnet article posted there saying that its a piece of trash and said that its misrepresents her fans, something Im used to journalists doing because they cant resist it, and saying that they just question her at every turn.

I can't think of many articles Ive read about her where the journalist seems to get what shes doing and what shes about. Theyre usually too busy trying to portray her as some kind of female Nick Drake when really what they should be doing is paying attention to what shes saying.