Music Banter - View Single Post - Sixteen Stone - A Good Album!!!
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2007, 05:29 AM   #12 (permalink)
Rainard Jalen
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontRunMeOver View Post
Just went and listened to 'Glycerine' online. Can anybody explain to me why the word Glycerine is in there? Why on earth is he singing about glycerine??? It's like one of the most pointless nouns he could have chosen.

He might as well have sang "vegemite" or "I eat mice" or anything else with 3 syllables.

Was all grunge this same combination of pointless songwriting and dull instrumentation? Were Nirvana just a fluke? Or were Bush just a silly pop band who jumped on the bandwagon?
In this case I'm sure there's a pretty good reason (probably memory-related) to why he's saying "glycerine", but there's no way of anybody possibly knowing that because it's unexplained - so perhaps stupidly inaccessible all the same.

I don't think Bush were by any means a "silly pop band". They jumped on the bandwaggon TO A POINT, though I'll say in earnest that I believe Gavin was well and truly honestly inspired by that music (i.e. Nirvana, Pixies etc.) and just wanted to emulate it the best he could, so to speak. Almost to the point of a tribute. The thing is, they emulated it and pillaged BETTER than EVERYBODY ELSE (possibly even Nirvana)! But that's not why they were so successful, no, it was more than that. See, it wasn't Gavin's plan or anything, but it just so happened that, him being dreamy 'n all, Bush were SUPER marketable to the entire population! He became the pin-up with the guitar! Things just worked in their favour, was all.

They were really a pretty important band, in reality. They were the most successful, biggest and probably the best post-grunge rip-off act that there was. Their work is at least deserving of some serious attention whether one likes it or otherwise. It's, at the least, educational.
Rainard Jalen is offline   Reply With Quote