Music Banter - View Single Post - Top-50 All-time (Rough Draft)
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2007, 10:29 PM   #13 (permalink)
sleepy jack
isfckingdead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJamJah View Post
I think there is a reason that many of "cliche" greats have become so. They are more widely relevant and influential.
Dude you put Green Day but not the Ramones.

Quote:
I know your opinion on Dylan is one that is widely shared by folk fans, however Dylan transcended folk and wrote amazing rock songs as well which is an almost unanimous contention among popular opinion in the music world. Pete Seeger and Arlo Guthrie while perhaps expressing their music more articulately and skillfully did so on a much smaller level and therefore rarely garner the type of attention that would put them on similar lists.
There are plenty of folk to rock crossovers, everyone tends to overhype Dylans rock stuff too. Some of it was good, but he released a plethora of mediocre folk rock albums which no one seems to want to point out and I was talking about Woody Guthrie, you know the guy who is considered one of the most important folk artists ever and is often placed on top of best folk artists lists.

Quote:
I resent your contention that the list is cliche and would be delighted to argue it point by point on occasion if the thread keeps your interest.
Its not cliche? You could find similar lists everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHDTV View Post
Bob Dylan is the most famous folk artist of all time. That's why.
So fame means its deserving to be placed above more important artists? Going by this I suppose Britney Spears is more important than Sonic Youth, right?
sleepy jack is offline   Reply With Quote