Music Banter - View Single Post - Guilty Pleasures...
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2007, 05:34 PM   #22 (permalink)
jackhammer
Ba and Be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
Whats wrong with pop music? Theres a lot of crappy pop, but a lot of great pop too. Pop music is catchy music, and whats wrong with that?

I like a lot of pop. The Beach Boys, Michael Jackson, Fleetwood Mac, Queen, Todd Rundgren, Elton John, Van Halen, The Smiths, Big Star, Cheap Trick, The Police and of course The Beatles.
I really would'nt class a lot of those as pop:

Fleetwood Mac-Began life as a blues rock band (and a fookin good one at that) before descending into aor mediocrity; however their music is still intrinsically rock, however diluted it seems.

Queen-They wrote rock songs with a pop sensibility. They mastered the art of the chrorus, but virtually all their output is rock orientated. Their aim was to appeal to as many fans as possible.

Van Halen-Commercial-yes, pop music? No. Eruption could not be classed as a pop song by any stretch of the imagination. JUMP seems like a pop song, it's commercial rock that's all. A lot of their music is blues based really.

The Smiths-I don't know anyone who would class these as a pop band, they are a prototype 80's indie band.

The Beatles- If their latter output came out in the 70's, they would probably be classed as a rock band. Their earlier output virtually defined pop music, so unfortunately;we have to give them a pop tag.

Pop music is music that the general populace listens to and embraces for as long as it catches their interest. People who like pop music (and pop music only), listen to music on a purely entertainment level, and rarely listen for musical/lyrical prowess, musical ideals, musicianship, ideology etc. That is why it is pop music. The bands I have quoted did'nt (just) make records for profit/entertainment.

“A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.”
jackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote