Music Banter - View Single Post - How many genres?
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2007, 04:35 AM   #12 (permalink)
Seltzer
Fish in the percolator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgd85 View Post
i hear you jackhammer. as i have said before "genres lead to ignorance". although i see the advantage of genres from time to time, in general they tend to just make people closeminded to something. i just like music
Well to be honest, I see that as their loss and not as a reason to eschew subgenres. I listen to a HELL of a lot of music but I think subgenres are useful. My metal folder on my computer is divided into:

Black
Death
Doom/Gothic
Folk/Viking
Heavy/Alt
Industrial
Metalcore/Nu
Power/Symphonic
Prog/Experimental
Thrash

Post-metal goes into my post rock/metal folder which is given equal status with rock, metal, jazz etc.

I do break some subgenres up further - death is broken up into blackened, melodic, technical and brutal/grind. Notice that melodic death is actually a subgenre of death, whereas blackened death is a combination of black and death (bands like Behemoth, Abominator etc.).

But before anyone goes ahead and says that's ridiculous, they have to remember it's not ridiculous to someone who knows these genres well, and has 170 GB of metal alone. A stoner doom band is a universe away from a funeral doom band.