Music Banter - View Single Post - Crowquills Mod status.
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2007, 05:03 PM   #141 (permalink)
Seltzer
Fish in the percolator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Perfect_Sonnet View Post
I know I technically have no right to be calling you out on this, but if you're going to give Ethan a hard time, how can you not consider anything of this your own biased opinion? That was basically just a non-insightful, slanted rant of Ethan's taste in music and genre standards.
I'm not ranting about it - consider it my analysis. I'm not trying to be hard on him. Most of the stuff you bolded is factual - it is a fact that post rock appeals more to people who prefer atmosphere in music. And it is no secret that Crowquill doesn't tend to like most music with technical skill - it's not my biased opinion.

I think it's quite insightful. Most of the arguments here revolve around genres, but nobody actually thinks what appeals to members about those genres. Whether it's the atmosphere, technicality etc... Surely that would be of interest on a music board?

And there's nothing biased about me liking thrash metal, but not considering those bands my favourite ever. Sure it might be biased in the traditional idea that having any sort of opinion makes you biased - that's unavoidable. But it's not biased in the sense that I judge it more/less harshly in certain areas or I constantly slag it off when arguing with another member... E.g. disliking Rush is an opinion with an inevitable bias. Admitting Geddy Lee is a good musician despite disliking Rush means you're not biased in general.

And if it's any consolation, I think Crowquill should remain as a mod - I just think he needs to be more impartial. I'm not saying 'ZOMG listen to more genres'... Being unbiased doesn't mean you have to listen to every genre in existence. And I'm hoping the 'Metallica sux' thing was a one-off on his part rather than the way he always argues.