Music Banter - View Single Post - Crowquills Mod status.
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2007, 05:47 PM   #144 (permalink)
Seltzer
Fish in the percolator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Perfect_Sonnet
Words like "technical" and "skill" are truly subjective. Dream Theatre and Dragonforce can jack off their guitars all day and call them rock operas and one person could consider it superior and the other would say it was just a bunch of dudes tremolo picking on scales with some random sweeps thrown in. It's not impossible to evoke emotion and play a technical riff at the same time. Many screamo/emo or hardcore bands have some pretty impressive guitarists. An unrelated example could be a musician such as SRV, but even then someone could get nothing out of his playing while I see it as highly involved emotionally.
I agree. And SRV can be quite technical while evoking emotion at the same time.

But the thing is, I don't think that it is really subjective as to whether a band has technical skill - Yngwie Malmsteen is undoubtedly technically skilled. What is subjective is whether you consider technical skill important.

I brought that up in the first place, because I think Crowquill tends to judge anything technical more harshly for whatever reasons. That's not to say that he doesn't like anything which is technical, but I think he's biased against music with high technical skill so it needs to be extra-special for him to like it; i.e. the other ideals of that type of music must appeal to him greatly.

Quote:
It could be dumb to try and place only specific ideals into genres and say bands in said genres must have some or even any of them to qualify in that genre.
If you read my original post, I said it was a general guideline. Not all of those ideals are set in stone for every band in the genre. And in the same way, you don't have to agree with all those ideals to like a genre. I like prog, but I don't agree with the 'technical skill' ideal.