Music Banter - View Single Post - Michael Jackson
Thread: Michael Jackson
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2007, 09:14 PM   #105 (permalink)
mjscarousal
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger View Post
Don't you find it a coincidence that as soon as a music television channel launches Jackson decides to make a film that will get maximum exposure on it?
No because MJ had vids that had maxium exposure before Thriller, Billie Jean and Beat It. MTV was already in full motion he was just the first black artist to get on MTV it just so happens the guy was talented to they fell in love with him. I will say this, MJ and the director, John Landis wanted to push boundaries as far as the art of music videos goes. Thats why MJ put so much time in it and money, of course the sells and publicity would come with it(I mean Michael Jackson was real hot during the 80's, his the man of the 80's) but that wasn't the whole point. MJ puts alot into his music and in what he does, all that exposure came because he was talented not because it was planned.

Quote:
He saw the opportunity to make a killing in the market & went for it. I applaud him for that. Of course this has absolutely no reflection on the quality of the music in it. And when record companies saw the potential in music videos they invested millions trying to recapture the success of that , and they succeeded. You show me one album in the 80s that sold millions without having MTV exposure.
Yes, yes I agree with all of that because its tru. Thriller did start that during that era but before u were saying they did that as to compensate the crap music in place of an expensive vid which is not tru. All the vids during the 80's weren't expensive, all of them weren't all good, and all of them didn't get alot of exposure but what u was saying before that does go with out a doubt for the music out now. Thriller is not the blame now.

Quote:
Well done , Just change 'some chick shaking there behind' to 'Some guy dancing with zombies' and you just summed up my opinion of Thriller right there.
And Thriller started this trend
You just said yourself things are worse now
LOL are u foreal? People were trippin off of Thriller because that was something that had not been done. It was innovative, Nowadays you can turn on MTV and see about 7 vids trying to recycle something that has already been done if MTV is still even playing vids. I said Thriller started it during that era when people were exactly making good music and didn't rely so much on their videos and when people exactly cared about good music.

Quote:
You don't think that whole Thriller film was about marketing?
I think it did but not in how u see it. I think Thriller was about making something that had not been done which it hadn't. Yea and also like u said what sells and being marketable but Thriller got all of that because it was innovative and not been done not because it was some black guy dancing with zombies... no Thriller was a tight vid thats why people loved it.

Quote:
Mass produced pop is mass produced pop , doesn't matter if it came out in 1983 , 1993 or 2003. Just because you hold nostalgia for the 80s doesn't make it any better. And why shouldn't there be discussion. Just because i'm not blinded by sales figures to see what makes an album good. I would have a lot more praise for Jackson had he stayed true to his R&B roots much more like he did on Off The Wall rather than the throwaway pop he came out with later. But like you say thats just my opinion , obviously people would rather have dancing zombies than soul & passion.
Plse man you don't have to skool me on this I know this already but even though thats true it doesn't mean ALL popular music sucks because not all does. I love Thriller and all of MJ's music because its GOOD music. Sales or how much publicity it got has nothing to do with how I feel about his music or music vids. If that be the case I would be bumpin this crap they have out now if sales and how many awards u have had to do with the quality of the music. I'm throwing the achievements out there because u actin brand new like MJ is some artist off the street. MJ had all the sales, the awards etc because he deserved it but MJ is a great artist and he makes good music. He worked hard to get to where his at. Thriller was a entertaining video and whether you want to admit this to urself or not we both can agree that vid is wayyyyy better than the vids out now. MJ is also a video artist, he put time and effort in his videos. He always made a story line, he always had random celebs in there lol, and his a tight dancer. So obviously people appreciate a good entertainer who can entertain them with music and music videos as well.
mjscarousal is offline   Reply With Quote