Music Banter - View Single Post - Discouraged with heavy metal....
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2007, 12:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Rainard Jalen
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leasing-Vertrag View Post
I joined this forums a while ago, and while its an incredible resource for finding new musical areas, and a well of knowledge procured from people who have done much more research than me, there is a massive problem. I can't find any heavy metal worth listening to. Where there is great guitar playing, the song is butchered by a spastic drummer with no concept of rhythm and/or a mindless gorilla trying to strip his vocal chords by screaming nonsense into a mic as loud as possible.

Before anyone flames me, which I may well deserve, this is only my opinion. I am ignorant of heavy metal for the most part, so my real question is, does textbook (or the definition by popular consensus) heavy metal always have the annoying screaming in it? Are there bands that focus more on the actual guitars or have decent vocals? Is there a particular sub-genre of metal for heathens like me who aren't cool enough for real metal?

Thanks in advance, sorry if I offended anyone.
You might really like Opeth. They do have cookie monster vocals in parts, but proper singing elsewhere. Plus, the cookie monstering (for want of a better term) is done well enough. All the instrumental work is excellent.

Oh, and as for in general, metal isn't by rule of thumb something with "annoying screaming" in it. Certain subgenres of metal characteristically contain screaming. Others are completely free from it.
Rainard Jalen is offline   Reply With Quote