Music Banter - View Single Post - New music. Does it exite like it did back in the day?
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2008, 11:09 PM   #57 (permalink)
Urban Hat€monger ?
The Sexual Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by riseagainstrocks View Post
How am I trying to be cool? I'm pointing out that you simply don't have to background to discuss things on this level. You can find Cynic boring if you want. I really don't understand how. Nor does the vast majority of those with a musical education.
I wasn't aware that people needed a degree in music to discuss it. If I was to go out & get one it wouldn't make me go out and become a fan of Cynic because that type of music does nothing for me. It might help me understand why YOU think they're good , but I already know why you think they're good because you've just said so below.

Quote:
I'll relate this to another medium of art; painting. If a painter painted exactly with emotion, odds are you'd end up with something Pollack-ish. However, if time went into the planning, composition, study, and technique of the painting, you'd end up with some Rembrandt-ish.
But both are equally sought after

Quote:
Emotion in music is a fine starting place, but with out real ability, it's worthless
From a technical standpoint it is. Personally i'm much more interested in the the message behind it & how it's expressed. I am much more interested in people and their experiences and stories than if someones nailed a chord properly.

Quote:
and just to clarify, when I use the term technical, I'm talking about mile a minute sweeps. That Cynic video is a prime example. Odd chord shapes coupled with counterpoint vocal melody create a layered effect that appeals to me in the pure aesthetic sense as well as the mathematical one.
And there's nothing wrong with that , but to me all those things are just window dressing to a song that deep down has very little substance.

Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote