Music Banter - View Single Post - Did Malcolm McLaren Invent Punk?
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2008, 07:44 PM   #40 (permalink)
ADELE
Account Disabled

Admiration is not really the thing. I have read many articles over the years and actually tonight on bbc 5 live radio they were discussing who started the punk movement with Americans arguing for their bands but the Brits steadfast in our knowledge we were behind the revolution.
How come noone mentioned MC5??
I was hoping someone would as that may have destroyed my arguement somewhat but seen as noone has I have to myself!
Well I say destroyed but I mean, somewhat disected a wee bit. But seriously many music journo's argue this point as it is about a huge cultral agenda. I respect Johnny Rotten as much as Malcolm as he and the band wrote the songs. But I am talking about the whole punk movement and who was inspired like Green Day and even guns ' roses. Bands like the Damned (who are supposed to have released the first ever official punk album) all hailed from the UK.
Lets get this debate going about what punk did for kids and who really inspired us today and our subsequent music culture. Even Rap music owes alot to the punk ethos of DIY and not needing to be a guitar master to write great songs and influence people. A hundred years from now if anyone looks up punk they will be shown the pistols as the major force behind the movement. I want people to challenge me about this as all the US supporters say is a few band names but what did these bands do for anyone? What did they do for kids? What did they do to change the music business? I mean, they are a bit like saying "I like REM" but they haven't ever changed the world for any kids have they? Do you get what I am getting at people?
ADELE is offline   Reply With Quote