Music Banter - View Single Post - women rights... don't just ignore this
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2008, 04:34 PM   #84 (permalink)
Barnard17
My home? Discabled,

Quote:
Originally Posted by oojay View Post
The "God" that Jews believe in is the same "God" that Christians believe in. So it's not a misnomer, it's a fact. And my response came off as derisive because it was meant to, I think Hellen Keller could have told you that one.
No. You're both Abrahamic religions because you take basis in the same texts however you divert, Jews have a few added books that divert their interpretations of what Christians would term the Old Testament, Christians have the New Testament which essentially supercedes the Old Testament changing key phrases such as "eye for an eye" into "turn the other cheek", "don't eat pork" into "eat whatever, God made it all so that's cool". The God that told the Israelites to butcher, murder and rape their enemies (and then left it at that) is not the same God that changed his mind and said "it's ok, we like you regardless of your background, as long as you believe".

I could argue a sociological cause behind this divergence however I doubt you're bothered to hear it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oojay View Post
If you don't believe in God, then you're not a Jew, and you have a Bar Mitzvah would be completely hypocrytical. How can you criticize Crowquill for calling your faith weak when you just admitted that it is?

He said he doesn't believe in God, therefor he's lying about being a jew, so my statement is null and void
I know plenty of atheists that have church weddings? Is that hypocritical? Well yes, but still it remains cultural. Also, it shouldn't be forgotten that there is both the religious and the "racial" Jew (for all such a label is worth ancestrally).
Barnard17 is offline   Reply With Quote