Music Banter - View Single Post - The Smut and Sadism of Rock
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2008, 01:45 PM   #19 (permalink)
jackhammer
Ba and Be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predator View Post
Exactly. All to often parents, politicians, religious leaders and so on want to blame everything but themselves. Johnny stole a car so he must have gotten the idea from a video game. Billy robbed a store and shot the clerk, he must have gotten the idea from a rap star. Sarah sleeps with everyone she meets, it must be that hip hop song. Why can't anyone take responsibility? If my kids knock off a 7-11, its because I failed at teaching them what is right and wrong. It was me that failed to teach them responsibility.
Parents can only do so much in educating their children. Peer pressure is an even bigger problem for children today and wanting to fit into a crowd can sometimes override whatever the childs upbringing. My eldest son is 14 and listens to commercial Hip Hop (I have tried and failed to get him off it!) which of course is misogonystic, full of expletives, glorifies crime and gang culture yet he does'nt hang around street corners, never causes any trouble and is polite to anyone he encounters. The problems are much deeper and complicated than you say. parents have a MASSIVE responsibility of that there is no doubt, but not everything is the parents fault.

Technology has got to a point where it saturates childrens lives and they are subjected to far more stimuli than when I was growing up, it is obvious that some media will influence children but no one section of it is responsible for bad behaviour.

“A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.”
jackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote