Music Banter - View Single Post - Les Rythmes Digitales
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2008, 01:58 AM   #15 (permalink)
adidasss
Slavic gay sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expletive Deleted View Post
Are you kidding? Outside of "Hustler" SMD is pure 90s. The whole album is super gimmicky.
I can only find a slight connection to SMD in MDC Vendredi...I suppose I see a great difference between 90's rave influenced dance and cheesy 90's dance... Not all songs are like that I'll give you that, but the ones that are (Hypnotize, Music makes you lose control, Hey you what's that sound, Take a little time) are enough to ruin the experience. Plus, really, I love all the aforementioned artists you connected him with, but I can't say I took to this album. I realize what he was going for but it just didn't achieve that effect for me...I'd say only Jacques your body and Soft machine stood the test of time. Take a little time probably would have topped some 80's charts...If you add the annoyance of From disco to disco and Sometimes it doesn't add up to a particularly pleasurable listening experience.*shrugs*

Quote:
Really? "One More Time" doesn't remind you of cheesy dance music? Because, as big a DP fan as I am, that song strikes me as a hell of a lot cheesier than anything on Darkdancer. It's tacky, almost.
Discovery is more influenced by late 70's early 80's disco than late 80's early 90's dance, especially that song. So I wouldn't say it's tacky, more like retro.
As far as the Discovery connection, I only maybe see it on About funk...

Quote:
I think you and I have very different definitions of what Big Beat is. I don't really see Chem Bros, etc. as the "quintessential" Big Beat group, because it extends much further than that.
Ok, I realize that, but take Fatboy slim, he had pretty recognizable, hard hitting beats which really stood out in a song (Right here, right now, Rockafella skank, Love island) and I'm just not seeing that here. Not to mention that You've come a long way baby is a 10 times better album than Darkdancer no matter how you spin it.

Quote:
Did you listen to the whole album or just the first song? Because much of the album has the Hip-Hop, Electro, and Breaks influences that Fatboy Slim (and Big Beat) is known for.
I have, many times over and again, wouldn't really compare the two.

Anyway...I think I've given this album more attention than it deserves. To each their own.

Last.fm
adidasss is offline   Reply With Quote