Music Banter - View Single Post - Nickelback-All The Right Reasons
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2008, 05:32 PM   #98 (permalink)
TheBig3
killedmyraindog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainard Jalen View Post
I agree that Nickelback aren't really a legitimate topic of discussion for the dedicated community of music fans (unless somebody actually likes them - ::shudder:: ). It makes no more sense to make specific criticisms of them than to do the same of groups like 3DaysGrace and so forth. They're meant to be crap. The record company know these bands are not artists. They're simply shrewd craftsmen who make very marketable material.
I'd agree with this save for the closed-minded editorializing. I don't believe you actually "shuddered" or would shudder should you find out someone liked Nickleback. You talk about the dedicated music fan and how their not a topic of discussion, which I agree with. But then you go on to discuss it. You've rendered yourself, by your stance on them, and your subsequent commentary an undedicated music fan.

Therefore, let me say this about "dedicated" music fans. It really is the non-issue you've claimed it to be. I don't think I've ever been offended by Nickleback or in some way lamented the music industry because bands like this existed.

If you've ever been enthralled by a sound, or the idea behind a sound, it would be completely Non-sequiter for you to say something along the lines of "wow...too bad all bands don't sound this way" or more specifically "I wish nickleback sounded this way." For people who dislike them enough to shudder, I can't begin to imagine for what purpose you'd have come in.

I'm not suggesting that negative commentary should not come in to play, it should. But disappointment is one thing, finding nothing useful in something generally suggests a lack of interest. I can't recall the last time I went into the Punk Forum or its subsections because its not for me. I never have a negative review of ballet or curling or a preference between televised cooking shows.

Its hard for me to look at these reviews and think something else is going on here. I'm sure you're sick of me citing these unmentioned social aspects of music as the cause of your chest-thumping diatribes but if you can tell me why you'd comment on something you've never liked, purchased, or listened to live, I'd love to hear it.